Tuesday, September 9, 2008

All of Breckenridge

Saturday--not in great detail
I woke up early to take a shower and get ready. Then, Kelly and I made some coffee and sat on our balcony (cold) for a bit to watch the sun rise into the sky. There is nothing like it. :) After breakfast, our morning session, and small groups time, we grabbed our lunch to go.
Now, here is the second time Kelly and I got separated. As we were going to board our vans to go to the rafting place, Isaac, a guy in my small group, wanted to talk to me about some things dealing with my summer jobs...so, I rode in that van. When I got on, I looked behind me and Kelly was no where to be found! We found each other when we got there! :)
We rafted the Arkansas river (Browns Canyon)...ask Kelly about it. We both had fun, but it was Kelly's first time. Therefore, her side of the story may be more interesting! We met some great people while rafting! People on our raft included: Kelly, me, Jessee, Josh, and Chris. I kept forgetting the river raft guides name. You would think it's convenient because it is my own name. (jk) She was pretty amazing though! During the second rapid (called the widow maker), the Adult Ministries director, Larry, fell into the river. Our raft rescued him, but it must have been pretty scary because he was pretty terrified--his eyes were the size of softballs!!!! We got back later than expected this night, but the directors were pretty awesome and laid back about it. They just rearranged the schedule for the next day.

Sunday--not in great detail
We got up later because we were exhausted. When we did eventually forced ourselves our of bed, we made our way to breakfast which was in our small groups. I keep talking about small groups and mentors, etc. I am in the business group and my mentor is Dan Rexroth. He is the CEO of John Knox Village. It is a 430 acre retirement home for about 1,600 adults. He has about 1,000 employees and is a very busy man on his chuch district...now national level. He is amazing, but hopefully you will get to hear me talk about him more later.
My mentor spoke this morning and did a phenomenal job! Obviously he has had to speak in front of people! Our small group sessions were about the same too...absolutely amazing. Kelly's mentor is Marshall Duke "The Duke Man". To find out more about him, you can visit www.fusion.nazarene.org. Oh yeah, be sure to ask Kelly about her being volunteered to participate in the service that morning.
During the afternoon, we had about 6 hours or so for free time, lunch, and dinner. About 50 yards behind our lodge, there was a hiking trail. Kelly, some new friends, and I were going to go hike a bit during our break, but Kelly couldn't go because she hurt her foot. I was a few minutes late meeting them and thought they had left me. So, I went by myself for about 45 minutes and decided to turn around because it was getting more and more secluded and I was by myself. I decided to jog down the mountain and guess who I met up with! My "hiking buddies" I thought had left me. I turned around again and went up with them a ways, but turned around yet again after about another 30 minutes because I had already gone up once. When two of my friends got back, Chris told me Becky Bennet's arms turned yellow and she lost all feeling. They had gotten scared about her arms so they found a road and hitch-hiked down the mountain. (They were trying to make it to the very top.) She was put into the hot tub when she got back and gained the feeling in her arms again by the time the service started.
During the service that night, I had been nominating everyone to participate...I thought it was unfair to volunteer others and not volunteer myself. So, I did and it was fun! Man, it was a fun night.

Monday--not in great detail
We had our last session (Woodie Stevens) and small group discussions; said our sad good-byes; loaded our vans; said our sad good-byes again; walked into the airport. We ran into Becky Bard then Captain K while in there waiting...which was very cool. We hung out and then said our sad good-byes yet again. On our plane, I felt a strong reason to talk to the man sitting next to Kelly. He turned out to be from all over the place but has a home in Pensacola, FL as well as in CO. Pretty cool fact: He used to fly for United and American Airlines....SO HE FLIES FOR FREE!!! We chatted and played trivia against one another for about 30 minutes. It goes a bit deeper than just that, but I would rather leave it as more of a personal story than commercialize it. :) We got into Auburn around 11:00...now, time to start our new time back at home. I will definitely miss everyone and the country there, but all I can say is that it's great to be back in "Sweet Home Alabama".

No comments: